Hello There, Guest! Login! Register

[Roughly 15 Fresh-S2] 049 - Deign

Ossu! We're back around with lucky number four in our countdown of doooooooom!

This week we're having a butcher's at:

Midnight Splash! - AcridMiles
The Bomb Diggity - lego1109
Frozen Atlantis - xAlaynax
VR - MISSION ULTIMATE EASY - MaddinAkaBBK
King of the Mountain Top - Salvation120

It's not a bad set this go about, though a few of the levels didn't click for me until the second go around. i hope you'll give some of these an extra chance, and maybe find one you really like. As always, thanks for all the support and feedback and have a great day! [Editor's note: King of the Mountain Top is NOT Salvation120's first level. i made a mistake when i checked their lbp.me profile, clicked on the "videos" button instead of the "published levels" one when i checked before recording the outro. i don't think the mistake overly changes my feelings about the level, but it is referenced in my reasoning for the level's grading...so i feel kind of a dope]

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
i thought i might do a later than usual bonus stream today (basically weekend hours, instead of Thursday/Friday hours...though Thr/Fri is my weekend so...it gets confusing). Anyway, the fact of the matter is, i've spent the last month of free time (give or take) in the house. For my own mental health, i figured it'd be a good idea to get out, and not worry about getting videos done.

So...i wake up and it's raining, because, of course it is.

Well played, gods of weather, well played.

Speaking of well-played and streams, though not, necessarily well-played streams, Biohazard 6 just does not give up once it gets started, does it? It might not have made much of an impression on me the first time, because i was just playing alone. Playing with folks has really highlighted the complete nutso absurdity of it all and i love it.

i had to take a look at an episode from a few weeks back to check if i had a name spelled correctly, only to realize i'd had it spelled wrong (in a different way) in that one. Kind of embarrassing, that. Especially because i'm using my great-uncle's surname. To my, very small, defense, i don't think i'd ever seen the name written down...but still...sorry Uncle Steve...

i'll have to tell his story in a stream or in an Isaac episode some day, it's pretty cool, and kind of nuts. Unless i've already told it..it gets kind of hard to remember sometimes.
[Image: drawsig.php?creator=waffle_king23&bg=52&f=18&l=6]
Want to watch a foolish gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese language at the same time? Well, now, you can!

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway time!

Midnight Splash! - AcridMiles
This one's a good bit longer than it seems, but for the most part it keeps itself fun and moving along. There are a few breaks and bugs in it (one area where you can jump out of level, some of the floaty fluid is de-physicalized, the spikes don't always explod after dropping), but nothing that would really keep you from finishing. It doesn't really stretch the bounds of what Oddsock can do, but the interesting visual presentation elevates it and makes it worth a go or two.

The Bomb Diggity - lego1109
This one's got such a great level design and look on the front half. Some of the gameplay is pretty inventive, and it has the feel of some of the really good LBP2 community story-driven levels. The race bit, on the other hand, could stand another go over for fine tuning. The timing towards the end is really quite tight, and it can be tough to see just what you're supposed to be doing. Couple that with the timer counting down, and the frustration can really ramp up. The only other thing i could say against the level is i wish you could skip the story scenes. They're cute the first time you see them, but the first, in particular really goes on, and once you've seen it once, you don't really need to see it again. Still and all, i love the ambition in this one, and that deserves its own praise.

Frozen Atlantis - xAlaynax
The first areas, especially the bit we saw at the end of the video are probably the roughest and most frustrating, particularly in regards to checkpoint placement. Once you get past that, though, this is a really well-done, quite challenging old-school platformer. Like The Bomb Diggity hearkens back to a particular style of story-based LBP2 levels (though natively done in LBP3), this one is quite emblematic of the "it's a platformer, no bells, no whistles, no nods to a grander world, just challenge yourself and beat it" LBP2 style (fittingly, natch, since it's ported over from there). It's a good'un, and worth a few plays if you haven't seen it before.

VR-MISSION ULTIMATE EASY - MaddinAkaBbk
This one only has value as a showcase of poor-to-mediocre example of LBP1-era community levels; which is fitting because this is, again, a port of a poor-to-mediocre LBP1-era community level. Surely you have better things to do with your time?

King of the Mountain Top - Salvation120
Honesty time, folks, i got bored with this one pretty early on this one early on in my third play. It's...fine, really. Like i said in the video, i appreciate the work put in making a story that actually informs the world and gameplay. i liked the houses and offices you could enter. The pick-axe "tool" (you have to carry it with the power-glove, it's not actually its own power-up) is nice-enough, and utilized through most of the level once you get it. Still...the level's aggressively ugly to look at, and pretty dull to boot. If it weren't for the ambition of it, i'd have probably given this one an orange diamond, really.

So that's the that. A couple of gems, a nice Oddsock racer, and a few clunkers. Hopefully there was at least one in there that looked good to you, and you had a good time with. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
Woke up this morning absolutely certain that it was Wednesday, and i'd not done the Tuesday Takeaway yet. It was actually a bit of a cold sweat kind of thing. Luckily(?), i'd only woken up an hour late. So now i'm rushing about all headless-chicken trying to get the usual Tuesday things done. See ya!
[Image: drawsig.php?creator=waffle_king23&bg=52&f=18&l=6]
Want to watch a foolish gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese language at the same time? Well, now, you can!